At Vainu, Quality Engineers are fascinating hybrids of Q (from James Bond), an army commander and the nicest guard in Alcatraz. Their goal is to implement processes and technology that both proactively block unwanted events (like a faulty data point or non-clean code) but also make it easy to detect once such things happen. They are the also internal consultants that help other teams and developers to get better as professionals.
As a Quality Engineer at Vainu, we expect you to 1) improve our reliability (both of our data and our data acquisition processes) by developing systems that prevent and detect errors automatically and 2) improve our codebase (thus making Vainu more reliable and maintainable) by developing systems and processes that robustly steer towards clean code.
- Build systems to reduce the probability of incorrect, invalid, outdated or missing data.
- Improve the CI/CD processes and introduce best practices to reduce the probability of software bugs.
- Improve the ways in which quality is being monitored and reported.
- Actively seek best practices, research applicable technologies and pilot the most potential ones.
- Experience in quality development (either CI/CD process development, test automation or data quality).
- Passion for code.
- Strong desire to learn new technologies and practices and to benchmark existing practices against new ones (the “Q” part).
- Attention to detail (the “Alcatraz guard” part).
- Confidence and drive to implement whatever is found to be useful (the “army commander” part).
- Solid communication skills.
- Proficiency in Python.
- Good knowledge of Git, test automation.
- Knowledge of Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience in large data masses is considered an advantage.
- Knowledge of MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Django, React, Jest and REST APIs are considered an advantage.
- Fluent in Finnish or English.
Vainu is the home of company data and the best friend of a 2020’s salesperson. We collect and organize all the open company-related data in the world. Then we refine it and create new, insightful data points. Such that you first did not realize you know, but that are discoverable by mixing up enough weird facts.
For example: a company needs a new low-emission car for its new area manager. Or that a company is going to get a new office.
Our customers are very diverse businesses in need of company data. Many of them consume the data via Vainu's web application. There are over 200 million companies in our database and the product is being built in Kallio, Helsinki.
Wondering if you’d like it here?
Vainu’s tech team is a compact, non-bureaucratic unit with diverse skills and backgrounds. Teams have a lot of freedom in finding out the most impactful ways of helping our users. Since we try to keep away from silos, many people have developed skills outside their original tasks and have taken responsibilities they didn’t dare to imagine on their first day.
The tech team has a reputation for having supportive colleagues so you will be provided with both intangible and technical tools you need to succeed. As a member of a fairly small team, you are also expected to make – or grow to a level where you are able to make – independent decisions.
Since we want to get things done, we always try to work smartly and keep our users and the real-life goals in mind before slamming our hands on the keyboard. If you are attracted to understanding the real problems, willing to learn, eager to use your creativity in discovering the best solutions and comfortable with taking responsibility for your (and maybe even other’s) work, then you’ll most likely thrive at Vainu.